ABOUT BLACK GIRLS LEAD!
BLACK GIRLS LEAD! Conference is a seven-day (July 29- August 4, 2018), residential, international leadership program for young women of color. The mission of the program is to offer girls ages 13-17 tools and resources to become dynamic leaders, innovators, and public servants. CLICK HERE TO APPLY TODAY!
The BLACK GIRLS LEAD Conference is designed to affirm Black girls’ brilliance, to cultivate their leadership skills and to create a safe space for fellowship and sisterhood. Attendees will experience culturally relevant workshops, panel discussions, guest lectures and empowerment circles led by world-class educators, artists, business moguls, research scientists, entertainers and other influencers.
ELIGIBLE APPLICANTS ARE GIRLS WHO:
- are 13-17 years old (12th graders/2018 graduating seniors are not eligible to apply)
- are in good academic standing
- exhibit strong leadership potential and interest in our learning modules
- are interested in the African Diaspora and its arts, histories, and cultures
- are concerned about issues impacting Black women and girls
- Application and Required Supplemental Documents are due by Sunday, April 29, 2018, at 11:59 Eastern Central Time.
- $25 Application Fee is due by Sunday, April 29, 2018, at 11:59 Eastern Central Time.
- Applicants will be notified of an admissions decision by May 21, 2018.
- Application: All application submission must be submitted electronically via the google form, however, if you would like to access a PDF copy of the application to prepare your responses in advance please CLICK HERE.
- Required Supplemental Documents (Letter of Recommendation, Official Transcript, Headshot and Essay/Video Blog Link) and all other assets must be uploaded/inserted and submitted electronically via google form application and or emailed to [email protected] with applicant name listed in the * email subject line.
- Letter of Recommendation: Have a teacher, school guidance counselor or mentor provide a recommendation letter on your behalf. All recommendation letters must be written on official letterhead and include the contact information of the recommender. Recommendation letters can be sent by the recommender via e-mail to [email protected] or uploaded/inserted and submitted electronically via google form application.
- Report card: Submit a copy of your official transcript or report card via google form application or email at [email protected].
- Application Fee: Pay the non-refundable application fee ($25) payable by check or money order made out to “Black Girls Rock Inc.” to P.O. BOX 380186 Brooklyn, NY 11238. Credit/Debit payment can be processed HERE
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- Where do I go to apply for the BLACK GIRLS LEAD Conference? You may apply for the BLACK GIRLS LEAD Conference online. Please CLICK HERE
- Is there a PDF version of the application? Yes. All applications must be completed online via the Google Form, however, you may use this PDF version of the application to outline, draft and save your answers before submitting them online.
- What is the age eligibility to participate in the BLACK GIRLS LEAD Conference? Eligible participants are girls between ages 13-17 who are currently enrolled in grades 8–12 (public, private, parochial, home school, etc.). Graduating seniors, in the class of 2018, are not eligible to apply. Collegiate students are not eligible to apply.
- Is there a fee for this conference? No. There is not a fee to participate in the conference.
- Is there an application fee? Yes. The non-refundable application fee ($25) payable by credit card HERE, check or money order made out to “Black Girls Rock Inc.” to P.O. BOX 380186 Brooklyn, NY 11238.
- When will participants be notified? Participants will be notified via e-mail on May 21, 2018.
- Where and when will the BLACK GIRLS LEAD Conference be hosted? The BLACK GIRLS LEAD Conference will be held in New York City from July 29-August 4, 2018.
- Is BLACK GIRLS LEAD an overnight conference? Yes. This year BLACK GIRLS LEAD is a residential conference. Residential housing will be provided to accepted conference participants.
- Will there be supervision for the BLACK GIRLS LEAD conference participants throughout the day and night? Yes. The conference site is managed by highly qualified BLACK GIRLS LEAD staff. All members of the BGL team are screened and trained to provide quality care for admitted participants. In addition to campus security, BLACK GIRLS LEAD staff, counselors and volunteers are stationed throughout on campus during program hours and overnight hours.
- Are parents permitted to attend the conference? No. Parents are not permitted to attend the conference. The conference is for admitted participants only.
- What programs and activities are offered at the BLACK GIRLS LEAD Conference? The action-packed forward-thinking BLACK GIRLS LEAD Conference features workshops, master classes, lectures and empowerment panels on media and cultural literacy, business, entrepreneurship, arts, social action, technology, financial literacy, and more. The conference will educate, affirm, support and empower girls who desire to become trailblazers of our future.
- I am experiencing technical difficulties while filling out the online application. Who should I contact to get support? Please email [email protected] Please place in the subject line: BLACK GIRLS LEAD Application – Technical Difficulties.
- I am having difficulties uploading my video blog. Who should I contact to get support? If you are experiencing technical difficulties uploading video blog to the application form, please upload your video to vimeo. Then, place the link (and password if applicable) into a word document. Finally, upload the word document in the video’s place. If you continue to have difficulty, please notify the BGL team and plan to submit your application via ground mail or e-mail in entirety. If you elect to email your application, please send it to [email protected]
A brief overview of the BLACK GIRLS LEAD curricular modules:
- Art-based enrichment programs
- Cultural immersion
- Critical media literacy courses
- Technology and innovation workshop
- Academic enrichment + college prep
- Leadership development initiatives
- Sisterhood + team building activities
- Life Skills training + empowerment panels
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS FOR PROSPECTIVE INTERNS, COUNSELORS AND VOLUNTEERS
How do I apply to be a counselor/intern at the BLACK GIRLS LEAD Conference? BLACK GIRLS LEAD counselors and interns must meet the following requirements:
- Currently enrolled in college or graduate school
- At least 21 years old
- Authorized to work in the United States
- Successfully pass a background check
- Be or become certified in first aid and adult CPR
- Submit all application materials by May 1, 2018
- Complete the full intern/volunteer application: HERE
- To apply for the counselor position: Complete the BLACK GIRLS ROCK intern/volunteer application and submit via email to it by May 1, 2018 with your cover letter and resume. Also submit a video blog outlining your professional qualifications and what you hope to contribute to and/or gain from working with the BLACK GIRLS LEAD Conference.
- What is the role of the Counselor? The main role of a counselor is to support the BLACK GIRLS LEAD conference participants, staff, instructors, and guest speakers. Counselors and staff work together to assure that the conference runs smoothly and participants benefit from a dynamic, rigorous, fun, and safe environment.
If you have any more questions please send us an email at [email protected]